The apprentice program is designed to encourage students to pursue science and engineering careers; acquaint qualified high school students with the activities of Department of Navy (DoN) laboratories through summer science and engineering research experiences; to provide students with opportunities in and exposure to scientific and engineering practice and personnel not available in their school environment; to expose those students to DoN research and engineering activities and goals in a way that encourages a positive image and supportive attitude toward our defense community; and to prepare these students to serve as positive role models for their peers by encouraging other high school students to take more science and math courses. SEAP places academically talented high school students with interest and ability in science and mathematics as apprentices in DoN laboratories for eight weeks during the summer. These students work with scientists and engineers who act as mentors. The program offers students a unique and positive experience in their fields of interest, thus encouraging them to pursue careers in science and engineering.
- High school students who have completed at least Grade 9. A graduating senior is eligible to apply
- Must be 16 years of age for most laboratories. Some laboratories may accept a 15 year old applicant. Please check individual lab description for more details.
- Applicants must be US citizens and participation by Permanent Resident Aliens is limited. Please check individual lab descriptions for participation of Permanent Resident Aliens.
- Dual citizens may be accepted at some labs, but not all. Interested students should contact the individual labs to determine if dual citizens may apply.
Award Duration and Stipend
- Participating students spend 8 weeks during the summer doing research. Program dates are fixed and cannot be changed. Students are expected to participate 8 continuous weeks. No vacation time is allowed during these eight weeks.
- It is strongly recommended to apply to laboratories that are close to your residence. No travel/relocation allowance will be provided.
- The stipend amount for new students will be $3,300 for the 8 weeks. Returning students will receive $3,800 for the 8 weeks. Payments will be distributed bi-weekly by the lab coordinator in the form of a paper check.