Naval Air Warfare Center Aircraft Division (Patuxent River, MD)
Program Dates: June 24, 2019 to August 16, 2019
Only US Citizens will be considered. Dual Citizens are not eligible. You must be 16 or older at the time of application to participate.
The Naval Air Warfare Center Aircraft Division (NAWCAD) is the full spectrum research, development, test and evaluation (RDT&E), engineering, and fleet support center for air platforms. The product test areas include aircraft systems (manned and unmanned), airborne technology, propulsion, flight test and engineering, avionics design and production, crew systems and aircraft-platform interface.
The most important assets are the more than 8,000 scientists and engineers (S&E's) and technicians and 15,000 acres and 7,400 square miles of test ranges housing RDT E facilities. Our unique capabilities and state-of-the-art facilities are unmatched in the world. NAWCAD is located at Patuxent River, MD (65 miles south, southeast of Washington, D.C.).
Expert technical cooperation is needed in various technical areas such as Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, Electronics, Aerodynamics, Material Science Engineering (software, hardware, processing, etc.)
Various state-of-the-art technologies of the NAWCAD are as follows:
- Acoustic Science and Technology: Ocean acoustics, physical oceanography, active and passive sonar technology, sonar processing technology, acoustic and non-acoustic sensors, microwave radar, blue-green laser radar and transduction material technology.
- Advanced Aircraft Materials: Materials science engineering, hybrid materials, light weight and high strength alloys, processing science, fatigue and fracture, structure design optimization, polymer, metal and ceramic matrix-composites, intermetallics, refractory metal alloys and coatings, corrosion inhibitors, environmental/surface interactions in adhesives, sealants, elastomers, electronic materials, lubricants, nondestructive testing (for structural integrity and stealthiness), polymer chemistry, composite repair technologies, and development of smart skins and smart structures.
- Advanced Processors/Computer Systems Technology: RISC and parallel computer architectures, data fusion, information storage (optical disks, semiconductor and ferroelectric memories, magnetic media, advanced recorders), Artificial Intelligence, Neural Network systems, real-time telemetry processing, symbolic computer algebra/mathematics, tools for logistic planning, flight operations aircraft servicing and reporting systems, and object oriented systems.
- Aircraft Controls and Displays: Helmet mounted displays, flat panel displays, including LED, LCD, electroluminescent, plasma, field emission, and vacuum fluorescent, projection displays, etc.
- Avionic Systems: Design, development and evaluation, V/STOL, RPVs, computational fluid dynamics, flight vehicle systems, digital fly-by-wire, flying qualities criteria, etc.
- Environmental Sensing and Information Display: Environmental Sensing and Information Display
- Fiber Optic Technology: Infrared detection and imaging systems, signal and image processing, automatic target recognition, reconnaissance sensors, LIDAR systems, hydrographic and atmospheric measurements, lasers and countermeasure systems.
- Flight Control Design and Aerospace Test and Evaluation Engineering: Fluidic flight control, air frame dynamics and simulation, flight control system design and instrumentation, flying qualities analysis and simulation, fluidic control system design and test, conceptual design and evaluation of V/STOL, UAV, hypersonic, and tilt rotor, flight vehicle systems, flight testing techniques (instrumentation, simulation and support), aerodynamic and structural analysis, etc.
- High Speed Fiber Optics Networks: High speed fiber optic components and networks, high speed links, optical switching and modulation techniques, nonlinear optical materials and devices.
- High Strength Cables and Harnesses: Design and manufacture of cables and harnesses for aircraft flight operations and emergency landing operations at sea.
- Life Support and Human Factors: Personnel in-flight and crash protection, breathing and in-flight escape systems, survival and rescue equipment, emergency locator/beacon voice radios, advanced helmet mounted displays, man-machine interface in flight environment, stress physiology of acceleration loads, biochemistry in stress, G-protective techniques and devices, dynamic flight simulation, air crew visual performance and human factor engineering.
- Manufacturing Technology: Leading edge in product design, manufacture, quality assurance through combine computer aided design (CAD), computer aided manufacturing (CAM), computer integrated manufacturing (CIM) functions, reverse engineering, electronics assembly, cable and harness fabrication, printed circuit board fabrication, hybrid microelectronics, machining, heat treatment, plating, welding, stereolithography, and computer aided acquisition and logistics support.
- Microwave Technology: Solid state conformal radar, sea clutter, non-cooperative target recognition, MMIC, CAD/CIM/CAM and adaptive antennas and processing.
- Systems, Software, and Computer Technologies: Neural networks, fuzzy logic, case based reasoning, genetic algorithms, visual reality, robotics, design error systems, intelligent control, parallel processing, software technologies for signal processing, operating system software for real-time Mission Critical Computer Resources (MCCR), AI and expert systems, high-level specification languages for automatic code generation, software engineering environments, interface standards and software frameworks for integrating Computer-Assisted Software Engineering (CASE) tools, avionics architecture design and analysis, fault tolerant avionics design, etc.
- Weapons System Analysis, Design, Integration: Operations analysis as applied to weapon system modeling, effectiveness and survivability, system design, optimization, filtering, design studies to meet reliability and maintainability and cost targets.