The apprentice program is designed to encourage high school students to pursue science and engineering careers; acquaint qualified high school students with the activities of Department of Navy (DoN) laboratories through summer science and engineering research experiences; to provide students with opportunities in and exposure to scientific and engineering practice and personnel not available in their school environment; to expose those students to DoN research and engineering activities and goals in a way that encourages a positive image and supportive attitude toward our defense community; and to prepare these students to serve as positive role models for their peers by encouraging other high school students to take more science and math courses. SEAP places academically talented high school students with interest and ability in science and mathematics as apprentices in DoN laboratories for eight weeks during the summer. These students work with scientists and engineers who act as mentors. The program offers students a unique and positive experience in their fields of interest, thus encouraging them to pursue careers in science and engineering.
- High school students who have completed at least Grade 9.
- You must be currently enrolled in high school (but you may take college level classes for college credit)
- Graduating seniors are eligible to apply
- Must be 16 years of age or older at the time of application to participate
- Applicants must be US citizens, participation by Permanent Resident Aliens is limited (Check the Participating Labs page for more information)
- Dual citizens may be accepted at some labs
Award Duration and Stipend
- Participating students spend 8 weeks during the summer doing research and program dates are fixed and cannot be changed
- Students are expected to participate 8 continuous weeks and no vacation time will be allowed
- It is strongly recommended to apply to laboratories that are close to your residence since no travel/relocation allowance will be provided
- The stipend amount for new students will be $3,300 for the 8 weeks and returning students will receive $3,800
- Payments will be distributed bi-weekly via direct deposit